Thursday 5 March 2015

Cool Canoeing by Tom


On Thursday, after breakfast and our dorm inspection, we met with our instructor, Scrutts in his little room for the last time.   I was excited because this was the first time I was going canoeing.   He told us to get our jumpers and waterproofs and meet him out the back, as usual.

 

After going up and down the evil tower steps and getting my waterproofs from the drying room, I found everyone at the back under the glass canopy.    Before very long, Scrutts, Emma (our other instructor) and Mrs. Walker arrived. We then went up to the bike and boat store to get buoyancy aids  or life jackets. We then got in the minibus and set off to Loch Eck to do our canoeing.

 

After a while, we arrived at the loch.  Another group was there though, and Scrutts went down and chatted with their instructor, Tom, to find out what they were doing.   After that we clambered out of the minibus and found out that we needed to drag the canoes down to the edge of the loch.   We then went into a hut to get paddles.

 

 

Before we started canoeing, Scrutts gave us a lesson on how to use a paddle and how to control and steer a canoe. At first I was worried that it would be too tricky, but when we went out on the three-seater canoes (I was with Emma and Lisa) to practice, I got the hang of it.   After the practice we went up the loch a bit and stopped on a sandy beach to drink some hot chocolate, which was the best I ever tasted.

 

After the journey back, we played some canoe games like canoe football and this game where we had to collect some rubber ducks.   When the games were finished we went back to the shore and dragged the canoes back up next to the hut.   Just before we got back into the minibus Chiara and Gracie went swimming in the loch!   When they got out they were absolutely soaking.

 

When we started to drive back to the Centre I was very happy. I wanted to go canoeing again!

No comments:

Post a Comment